held on 18/11/2003
The meeting commenced at 10 a.m. with a silent prayer. A total of 46 members attended the meeting. Dr. P.I. Geevarghese, Secretary welcomed the gathering. Adv. Judy D' Silva, President, PTA, delivered the presidential address. The Patron addressed the gathering and Dr. K.C. Raghavan, Joint Secretary proposed the vote of thanks.
The following decisions were taken:-
To send the annuel progress reports of the students tot he parents.
To inform all the parents of the decisions of the general body meeting
All efforts will be taken by the PTA in consultation with the Dean to prevent the occurrence of student unrest in the campus in future
Parents were advised to watch the progress of their wards.
As a part of the activities of the Students Counselling Centre, a yoga class and spoken English class will be started.
The parents were advised to frequently meet the Academic Professor in charge to monitor the progress of their wards. The meeting concluded at 1.30 p.m.
The history of Agricultural research and education in Kerala State can be traced back to the year 1896, when a scheme was evolved in the erstwhile princely State of Travancore to train a few young men in scientific agriculture at the Agricultural Demonstration Farm, Karamana.
In 1905 a research station was set up Taliparambu for initiating research on pepper by the then Government of Madras Presidency. Later other research stations were established. Notable among them being, the Coconut Research Station, Nileishwar (1916), the Rice Experimental Station, at Moncompu in the same year and Rice Research Station at Pattambi (1927). After the establishment of the Travancore University in 1939 a scheme was approved by the then Travancore Government for organising a diploma course in Agriculture under the University; but the proposal did not materialise. An important landmark in the history of Agricultural Research and Education was the establishment of the Agricultural College at Vellayani and the Veterinary College at Mannuthy in the year 1955. The research and teaching institutions, however, worked in isolation till the formation of the Kerala Agricultural University Act of 1971.
Kerala Agricultural University started functioning from 1st February 1972. The erstwhile Agricultural College and Research Institute, Vellayani, and Kerala Veterinary College and Research Institute, Mannuthy were disaffiliated from the Kerala and Calicut Universities respectively and transferred to the Kerala Agricultural University to function as constituent colleges. These colleges were subsequently renamed as the College of Agriculture and the College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences. The responsibility for research and education in the field of agriculture and animal sciences in the state is vested with the University. Along with the transfer of two educational institutions, 21 research stations under the departments of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry were also transferred to the University.